Kiama logo

About Us

Who We Are Our History Where We Are Our Team Contact Us

Our History

In 1843 Christ Church Kiama was established on a site on the south east corner of Bong Bong and Manning Streets. Kiama Parish was made a distinct parish in 1850.

A site was secured on what is now known as Church Point and in 1856 the building of Christ Church commenced, the foundation stone being laid on 17th June 1856. The Church was fully completed in late 1858 and was opened and consecrated by Bishop Barker, Bishop of Sydney on 13th January 1859. In 1922 the impressive Soldiers' Memorial Tower was commenced.  The Memorial Gates and Fence were opened and dedicated by Archbishop Mowll on 19th November 1949.

Our branch church, St Paul’s Minnamurra, was officially opened in December, 1936, by the Reverend E Walker, Rural Dean for the Illawarra area. It was a tiny church on Railway Avenue, and was extended in 1991. A meeting room was added in 2007. Since then there have been services, baptisms and marriages held at this small community church.

On the 10 October, 2009 Christ Church Kaima celebrated our 150th birthday…

The endeavours and accomplishments of the Kiama Parish over the past 150 years have amply demonstrated the way God has blessed the Parish, its ministers and its work.

The congregations have been characterized by vision, prayer, a steady seeking for the Lord’s guiding purposes from His Word, and a willingness to work hard to fulfil those purposes.

Below are some photos of our beautiful, historic Church as it is today.

Outside

   
 

More pictures to come

 

 

Inside

 


^ top

In 1843 Christ Church Kiama was established on a site on the south east corner of Bong Bong and Manning Streets.   Kiama Parish was made a distinct parish in 1850.

A site was secured on what is now known as Church Point and in 1856 the building of Christ Church commenced, the foundation stone being laid on 17th June 1856. The Church was fully completed in late 1858 and was opened and consecrated by Bishop Barker, Bishop of Sydney on 13th January 1859. In 1922 the impressive Soldiers' Memorial Tower was commenced.  The Memorial Gates and Fence were opened and dedicated by Archbishop Mowll on 19th November 1949.

Our branch church, St Paul’s Minnamurra, was officially opened in December, 1936, by the Reverend E Walker, Rural Dean for the Illawarra area. It was a tiny church on Railway Avenue, and was extended in 1991; with a meeting room was added in 2007. Since then there have been services, baptisms and marriages held at this small community church.

On the 10 October, 2009 we celebrated our 150th birthday…

The endeavours and accomplishments of the Kiama Parish over the past 150 years have amply demonstrated the way God has blessed the Parish, it ministers and its work.

The congregations have been characterized by vision, prayer, a steady seeking for the Lord’s guiding purposes from his Word, and a willingness to work hard to fulfil those purposes.